Shimla city is admired for its glorious legacy, architectural beauty and heritage buildings. After the end of Gurkha Wars in 1815-16, the Britishers retained few military outposts in Shimla and its surrounding areas. Very few would know that Simla or Shimla was also known as Sheyamalaya, Shumlah, Shimlu and Shemlah. Finally in 1864 the Viceroy, John Lawrence anointed Shimla – then spelt Simla, as the summer capital of British India. Here are few glimpses of Shimla City during the 1900s. Find here a collection of the famous Annedale Ground, Vice Regal Lodge, the City Town Hall, Lakkar Bazar, the old Combermere Bridge and lots more.
Home Heritage Shimla